The waves of change are rippling through pop culture and society as a whole as more and more people discover the benefits of medical and recreational cannabis. This change can be credited to many individuals, but in our opinion, women are leading the charge! Here are a few standout stars who braved the backlash to live their truth and get their message across:
Janis Joplin: This iconic 60's singer is best known for rollicking blues-rock songs like Piece of My Heart and soulful ballads like Me and Bobby McGee, but is also one of the OG cannabis advocates. Our favorite Janis song: Mary Jane.
- Anna Duckworth: Anna is Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief of Miss Grass (a PHILTER fave) which is an elevated magazine and e-comm platform for women and cannabis. Do yourself a favor and go follow @missgrass immediately on Instagram to see why she made our list...
- Jessica Assaf: As the Co-Founder and Chief Education Officer at Prima, Jessica is leading women through the cannabis industry’s “grass ceiling,” to raise the bar in their safety standards while also raking in the green- cannabis AND dollars. What else could we ask for?
- Jodie Emery: Famous for her advocacy work in Canada, her passion runs deep. Emery and her husband have been involved in cannabis activism, business, and politics for over 14 years. The Emery empire continues to grow, with Cannabis Culture, Pot TV, and a franchise of dispensaries and head shops proving just how prominent Jodie is in the Canadian cannabis scene. Her mantra “You need to have strength in your belief, and you need to be confident in what you believe” serves as an empowering statement for upcoming cannabis industry leaders of all genders. GO JODIE!
- Elana Frankel: is a Cannabis Columnist at Grit Daily. Based in New York, she is the Co-Founder of Indigo and Haze and the Editor in Chief of Women and Weed magazine.
- Miley Cyrus: The singer, actor, fashion icon and philanthropist needs NO introduction, but not everyone knows of her love affair with weed which she claims, "is the best drug on Earth.” Same, Miley. Same.
- Jennifer Lawrence: Now, there are a lot of incredible women who have done so much for the cannabis industry on this list. However, J-Law might have the most baller achievement in the world of weed: OUT-SMOKING (at the time her Hunger Game co-star) THE Woody Harrelson. According to Jennifer he said, "Slow down, Jen. This isn't Jamaica." Okay... GOALS!
Don't forget: PHILTER works with flower and THC/CBD pens! Shop now to eliminate secondhand smoke and smell.